Get ready for everyone’s favourite season…
- 2 portions of buckwheat, or even courgette, noodles
- 25g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- generous thumb of root ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, each chopped into 4
- 2 tablespoons brown miso paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 100g baby corn
- 250g bok choi, thinly sliced
- 120g beansprouts
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
Prepare the noodles, if using, according to the packet instructions, then place in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Put the dried shiitake in a bowl, pour over 500ml of boiling water and set aside for 20 minutes.
Heat the sesame oil in a wok, or large sauté pan, then add the ginger, garlic, chillies and spring onions, and cook for a minute or so, stirring to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
Splash in a little water and let it bubble for a couple of minutes, then add the miso and tamari and 500ml more boiling water. Let this broth bubble away until the mushrooms are ready, then add them too, with their soaking water (except the dregs, as they may contain grit). Return to a nice simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the corn and bok choi, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the beansprouts and carrots.
Divide the noodles between four bowls, then spoon the broth on top. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice, then serve with lime wedges.
Recipe extracted from Deliciously Ella with Friends by Ella Mills, published on 26 January by Yellow Kite, £25 © Ella Mills 2017
Tags: Recipe Cooking Deliciously Ella Healthy Lifestyle Autumn